Go back to normal view
Church of St Paternus
Parish Church. Norman church with some later medieval work largely rebuilt in C15; restored and north aisle rebuilt in 1889 by G Fellow Prynne and west end restored in 1897. Dressed Polyphant stones with granite dressings and granite ashlar south porch. Slate roofs with granite coped gable ends with crosses at apices and pierced ridge tiles. Late C19 cast iron gutters and drain pipes.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one; 6-bay full length north and south aisles, north and south porches and west tower. The C15 church replaced a large aisled Norman church (v. the Norman respond at west end of north arcade and Norman north doorway). The tower arch and west doorway are circa C14 and the plinth at the east end of the chancel is earlier then the C15 when the church was largely rebuilt. The north aisle was rebuilt in late C19 but the north porch appears to be C16.
Exterior: Cavetto moulded granite wall plate and plinth. North and south aisles have granite 4-centred arch erpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, the north aisle late C19; south aisle with small rood stair turret in second bay from east. Similar west windows. East windows and chancel east windows are of 4 lights with intersecting panel tracery. Late C19 priests doorway on north side in weathered projection.
Granite ashlar south porch with moulded 3-centred arch with quartefoils pendrels and label. North porch has moulded 4-centred and inner and outer doorways with labels, with doorway set in Norman round arch with billet moulding and scalloped capitals to missing shafts; inside over outer doorway early carved corked and by inner doorway small stomp carved with palin and waterleaf, only Norman stomp in Cornwall.
Tall west tower in 3 diminishing stages, set-back butresses with set offs, square stair tower on north east corner, moulded battlements and octagonal crenellated and pinnacles with small cross finials. 2-light perpendicular bell-openings on all sides of top stage, clock faces on middle stage and large 2-centred with perpendicular west window in
lower stage with intersecting porch tracery, over moulded 2-centred arch west doorway.
Interior: Late C19 quarry tile floor. Plastered walls and exposed granite windows with chamfered rear arches and arcades. 6-bay north and south arcades; south arcade has Pevsner type A piers, north with type B except for 2 east bays which are type A, granite moulded piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. No chancel arch. Tall tower arch with deeply moulded 2-centred arch and shafts to respond with moulded capitals. Norman respond to west bay of north arcade, square with chamfered corners with bar stops and imposts. Unmoulded 3-centred arch rood stair doorway, the rood screen missing. Single 3- centred arch chamfered piscina in south wall.
Wagon roofs, ceiled with boards, with angel details over chancel, late C19 benches.
Circa early C20 choir stalls with reused medieval covered panels on front. Circa late C19 gothic altar table, reredos and altar rail 1901 tower screen with material from rood screen.
Lectern made from reused late C16 or early C17 panelling.
Fine octagonal carved pulpit dated 1631 with linenfold
panels, carved baluster stem and caryated soffit ribs.
C12 font with 4 detached octagonal shafts.
Royal Arms of James I in south aisle, painted on board. C20 organ by Heard and Sons of Truro.
Monuments: on south wall finely carved slate to Chevity Probat? d.1676:, aedicule with Ionic columns and scrolled pediment with arms to Ambrose Manaton of Trecarrell d. 1561. Cartouche to Revd Jones Couch Morgan d. 1808 and signed "cut by Jno Deacon Milton Abbot". Marble Neo-classical draped tomb to Capt Charles Morgan RM d 1849.
East window memorial of 1868. South aisle east window memorial to Proctor Thomas Pulman d. 1938. South aisle window late C19 or early C20 depicting Last Supper.
Other windows have plain stained glass panes but in tracery of east window of south aisle are 2 reused C15 shields.
Tower has 6 bells, rehung in 1897 when 6th bell was added.All bells renovated in 2012,
old clappers hung in lower tower chanber
Sources: Buildings of' England p.215. Kelly's Directory of Devonshire and